Here at Gaskell Avenue Dental Practice in Knutsford, Cheshire, we LOVE teeth! We find everything about teeth so interesting and we’re just full of fun facts about them, which is why we thought we’d share a few of our favourites with you…
Did you know?
- Dental enamel is the strongest substance in the body – it’s even stronger than bones! This is because we only get one set of adult teeth, making them very precious and in need of some special protection.
- No two sets of teeth are the same, even identical twins will have differing sets of teeth. That’s why dental records are so important to the police and forensic teams during investigations in order to correctly identify people.
- Teeth begin to form before when babies are in the womb. While babies are not born with visible teeth, they are already present and will begin to come through from around 6 months old.
- Humans have four different types of teeth – incisors (the front four on both the top and bottom jaw), canines (the longer, slightly pointed teeth that are next in line), premolars (the large teeth behind the canines), and molars (the biggest teeth right at the back). Want to know what each tooth’s job is? Ask us at your next appointment!
- The average elephant’s molar weighs 6lbs and these huge animals grind down their molars and grow new ones 6 times in their lifespan.
- Giraffes only have bottom teeth!
Next time you visit us, why not come armed with a tooth fact to see if you can teach us something new? Who knows, if you discover something we don’t already know we may be able to reward you! Give us a call on 01565 633034 to book your next appointment.